After years of study and practice, Blasted Science has finally perfected the Jacob’s Ladder. Technically it breaks after five seconds, but hey, maybe yours won’t.
This is hands-down the easiest way to make a Jacob’s Ladder, period. All you need is an old TV and a death wish.
The actual tutorial in the video is quite subtle, so here’s a written explanation of exactly what we did:
- Take apart a CRT TV. Be careful! They can implode if you crack the glass.
- Rip the circuit board out. This will probably require cutting a few wires.
- Plug it into the wall, and turn it on. You should hear a high-pitched noise. This is the part where you be EXTREMELY careful.
- Two of the biggest (usually red) wires will arc up to a few centimeters. These are the wires you want. Don’t get your bare skin near them. Keep your left hand behind your back at all times.
- Hook the two arcing wires up to a pair of metal rods that are in a long V-shape. Voila! That’s all there is to it.
You might have to initiate the spark by putting something metal between the two wires at the bottom.
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. A SINGLE MISTAKE WILL KILL YOU. The electricity is powerful enough to instantly kill you. Would not recommend.